Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are

Where the Wild Things Are
2009
Directed by: Spike Jonze
Starring: Max Records, James Gandolfini

When I first saw a trailer for this movie, I got excited. I couldn't believe that a truly amazing book was going to be made into a feature film. Then I re-read the book and realized it wasn't quite as long as I had remembered. I wondered how they would take a short book and make it into a feature.

I was pleasantly surprised. Although the story could have used a little more work, the movie was overall enjoyable. The way that the characters were brought to life really snuck up on you on how realistic they were. The CGI or animatronics that they used made you believe that the Wild Things were real creatures on this abandoned island. I felt that James Gandolfini's voice (along with heavy breathing) did not really fit with the Carol character. Other than that, I felt that I could watch those characters forever. The way they interacted with each other was very intriguing. Max Records was outstanding as lonely Max. He seemed to really fit in his element as the outcast boy who has virtually no friends.

Like I said, the story was a little weak, which I expected, but the characters and relationships made the movie pretty good overall. I enjoyed watching the relationships unfold and the trust instilled in the Wild Things' king. I loved this book as a child. I love the book now as a teacher able to pass on the knowledge of the book. And now, the movie can take the book to a new level. With imagination peeking around the corner, and showing true friendship at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment