Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Shutter Island

So I don't know if you're gonna get annoyed by this, but frankly I don't care. But I am not reviewing movies in any particular order. I started with The Crazies, and now I shall talk about Shutter Island.

Shutter Island, 2010
Directed by: Martin Scorcese
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo

When I first heard about this project about 2 years ago in an episode of Entourage, I thought "man what a dumb title". And to this day I still think the title (and the name of the island) could have been a little more thought out. To be completely honest, I had no interest in something with such a lame title.

That is until, of course, I heard that Leonardo DiCaprio was the lead. Now don't take this the wrong way. I am not some crazed fan talking about the size and ratio of Leo's abs or the wonderful part that always ends up in his hair. But I am a Leo fan. I've always held true to the fact that it seems like any good Leo movie has him dying or getting arrested in the end.

Now I'm not going to give away the ending, but I assure you this is a good movie despite my previous statement. A few months before the release I had seen the trailer about 37 million times before any other movie I saw at the local theater. There was even one movie (not sure which) that showed the Shutter Island trailer twice in a row. Mistake? Or brilliance on the part of Martin Scorcese? Who knows? But I've talked about trailers already.

I also had received a copy of the book written by Dennis Lehane. I read the book rather quickly (considering I'm not the best of readers). I was astounded by the fact that I found it really predictable, yet I was not able to put down the copy of the novel. I found it fascinating. He found a way to use descriptive words without making it feel like an epic poem.

After reading the book, I was curious to see how the movie would pan out. Turns out that the movie was exactly like the book. It was actually cool because while reading the book I could picture the actor's faces because I had seen the trailer so much.

The only complaint I had was about the dream sequences. They seemed a little too unreal and unfocused. I felt that if I hadn't read the book, I would be thoroughly confused. Oh, another complaint I had was Michelle Williams. God she is awful. Every time I see her I think of Dawson's Creek and how Dawson was so dumb that he fell for her and not hot-ass Katie Holmes (pre Tom Cruise and psychoness). The only thing Michelle Williams did correctly was had Heath Ledger's babies. Because now his legend will be here by at least half. Other than that, she should drop off the planet. I mean, Brokeback Mountain? Jake and Heath were better actresses in that movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment