Friday, March 5, 2010

Avatar

Ah, Avatar. I just started this blog a few days ago and I've decided to write about one of the most historical film experiences in the history of the industry.

Avatar
2009
Directed by: James Cameron
Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana

Avatar (in retrospect) is a terrible movie. I do not say this lightly. I absolutely loved it. But the allure that the film created has taken away from the original allure of all films. Intriguing the audience with expensive effects and visuals can brainwash someone into loving a film that has done one too many times over.

I remember during my original viewing that I said "ok this is like The Matrix meets Fergully". Which was exactly correct. The effects = unbelievable. The CGI = amazing. The story = insufferable. What good is a movie without a solid story to build on? I know for those of you who know me, it is insane to see my logic in loving the story behind the original Scream. Or Stir of Echoes for that matter. But at least they were pretty original. Scream was the first "horror" film to poke fun of other horror films. It wasn't right in your face like Scary Movie, but it was the purpose of the film.

What I'm trying to say is that if you're going to spend $300 million, then at least afford a decent screenwriter. James Cameron is a genius. Practically every movie he has directed have been hits. But how can you sell yourself out to a story that has been done many times over? I loved Avatar, and I look forward to seeing it in blu-ray, and maybe even 3D tv? Who knows? What I do know is that the making of the blockbuster film is changed forever.

2 comments:

  1. Avatar = Pocahontas with John Smith in a wheelchair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was waiting for a Stir of Echoes reference! Nicely done Bromontana.

    ReplyDelete