Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Top 10 Films of 2010

Alright, here it is. Another reason for you to bitch and moan about how I don't know anything. To be frank, no I did not see every movie to come out this year. But I did see a hell of a lot. Now, in the next week, this all could change if Blue Valentine or How Do You Know? blow me out of the water. But we'll see. This, being December 29, with 2 1/2 days of the year, I have compiled my list of the best films. It was hard to decipher through the mere entertainment of a movie (Jackass), or the true reality of what is possible in our lives (Going the Distance, Love and Other Drugs). Unfortunately, neither of these movies made my list, although they were close. But to judge, not merely on the state of a film's script, but the acting, and the overall engaging nature of the piece to bring my brain into such tranquility that it would make for a great movie. I will not supply you with full summaries, you don't read my shit anyway, but do me a favor. If you do read, give me some feedback. As much as I love being right in my own little brain, I do enjoy a nice discussion (or argument) over the validity of my selections. So we begin.

10. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Michael Cera playing awkward? NO! It can't be. Yet it is. But in this modern age re-adaptation of every video game we have come to know and love, the story debunks the true nature of the film and brings it to a whole new level. Pilgrim is a kid fighting for his love. End of story. But with Blu-Ray-esque(?) features and a plot line that is pretty compelling, this film slipped right into my list. This being one of those guilty pleasure type deals.

9. Black Swan
She's hot. That's the only thing I can think of when I think of Natalie Portman. She's Jewish? Check. She's not a tabloid sucking monster? Check check. Portman is a struggling ballet dancer working feverishly toward the top. Vincent Cassel (who is the bad guy from Derailed) brings about a good performance as Portman's douchebag of a ballet instructor. 110 minutes and many personalities later, I was transfixed by the beauty of something that would never usually grab my attention strings. The essence of ballet emits thoughts of beauty and beastry. I don't give a shit if that's not a word. You know what I mean.

8. Shutter Island
Leo's in it. That's all I know. I don't care how homo this sounds, I don't care if Leo was in a remake of Cursed, I would still see it. He's not only a generational actor for me, but someone that got me generally interested in movies. I was 11 when I saw Titanic twice in the theater (guilty). I don't think he's dreamy, he's a fucking good actor. So sue me. The book runs over the movie with an army tank, but the movie was good, too. Ben Kingsley, you still frighten me for a reason I can't explain.

7. The Fighter
Not since Fear (yep) have I seen Wahlberg in such a good movie. Who would have thought that the singer of once pop hit Good Vibrations would be in an Academy worthy movie. No, I don't think his performance was the caliber of award material. But I do find that his co-stars are. Christian Bale and Melissa Leo sink in the depths of a character only once seen before by yours truly in an unforgettable Joker played by the adept Heath Ledger. Bale and Leo steal the show in this once and fifty times told story of a struggling athlete fighting for a comeback.

6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Yes, I read them. Yes, I've seen the movies. And yes, I love both the books and the movies. Don't say you've never been interested. The writing is tailored for audiences that enjoy fantasy and magic without all the guess work. The way the JK Rowling transfixes a mind into a world unknown to the common people is inspiring. She'll refer to something in the 6th book that was barely a headline in the 2nd book. She uses her cast of characters so fine that it brings your mind to a whole new level. The movies have gone up and down in the years with the changing directors and (due to completely uncontrollable circumstances) actor changes. The first two were very good, straight forward to tell a story. The third sucked. The fourth and fifth were fine, and the sixth is difficult to judge because the book and storyline did consist of a lot of talk setting up the seventh and final year for Harry and the gang at Hogwarts. The first part of the split up last movie was consistent with the book and told the story that needed to be told. The emotions brought forth the true nature of a Potter fan. That's all I expected and asked for.

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Shutter Island? I agree with your love of Leo (he was the only good thing in that awful movie) but that does not make Shutter Island the 8th best film of the year. It sucked. I did enjoy it's remake however (Inception)

    ReplyDelete