Saturday, December 4, 2010

Love & Other Drugs

Love & Other Drugs
2010
Directed by: Edward Zwick
Starring: Jake Gyllenhall, Anne Hathaway

Well here you have it, another romantic comedy. Oddly enough, this is Gyllenhall's first. I guess you could count The Princess Diaries as a rom-com, so Hathaway has been there. Well there was Valentine's Day. But I wouldn't really call that, well anything really. So the scoop. Wait, I've seen this one before. Man who is an overachieving honcho piece of crap who preys on women and makes it look all to easy. Woman who is emotionally unavailable and pretends to not care about anything in the world. Yet, they fall in love.

Emotionally, this film is pretty stable, but physically, it is hot. Anne Hathaway is naked in most of it. Kind of like Havoc, but without the rape. She is smoking. Hathaway makes the movie watchable for guys. Yeah the story was fine. But we all knew what would end up happening? How bout some irony for rom-coms, people? Bring us into the deep, dark pasts of the characters and exploit them at their rawest.

The comedy aspect was pretty good. Josh Gad does a wonderful Jonah Hill impression playing Gyllenhaal's overweight and overwealthy younger brother. When Gad's hot wife dumps him, he lives with Gyllenhaal. He throws out a couple one liners that made me smirk in my chair. One scene that I felt was unnecessary was when Gyllenhaal caught Gad watching a video of he and Hathaway. That's just gross. Who would want to watch a video of their brother having sex? It doesn't matter who it is, it just disturbs me.

Anyway, the movie was good overall. I know I just bashed it a bit, but I really don't have super positive things to say. It was good. Very straight forward. It kept me entertained until the last 5 minutes when I said to myself "oh, figures". But the story line was straight forward, taking us deep into the world of pharmaceutical sales. Seeing Gyllenhaal and Hathaway in a rom-com is a nice new treat. I'm getting kind of sick of the same four people in these types of movies. Thank you for bringing in people that we, as younger people, can relate to.

Stars (out of 10): 6 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment