Monday, December 20, 2010

Black Swan

Black Swan
2010
Directed by: Darren Aronosfsky
Starring: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis

Let me begin by saying: what a mind-fuck. Excuse the language, but that is the only proper way to describe this film. The film transcends you into the cutthroat world of professional ballet. I never thought a movie about ballet would interest me. However, the twist that this takes on the subject really brought me into a whole different level. I must say that the film was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. I had heard different things from friends and reviewers about how it messes with your mind. It was awesome though seeing it for myself.

The movie (without ruining anything) is about a girl who is a dancer in a ballet company. The company's star dancer has retired, leaving the spot for the Swan Queen in their production of Swan Lake wide open for the taking. The film follows Portman as she struggles to achieve this monumental honor. She is overtaken by a sexually harassing boss, an overbearing mother, and a fellow dancer who will stop at nothing to ensure the part will become hers.

The story that follows brings about a spectacle of incidents and drama that entice the mind. Though I was under the weather while viewing the film, I still found it titillating and insanely interesting. The wonder of what will happen next is truly appealing. I really did not anticipate the ending (which I won't give away), but I did know it would be somewhere along those lines. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and look forward to the many awards that Natalie Portman will be nominated for, because I do believe she deserves it.

Stars (out of 10): 7 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment