Saturday, July 24, 2010

Inception

Inception
2010
Directed by: Christopher Nolan
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Ellen Page


It feels unfair for me to write a review for this. I saw it, of course, but I feel that I did not "experience" it. My initial reaction to the film was that I did like it. However, I soon found things I did not like about. The acting, terrible. The casting of Ellen Page as an intellectual American student studying in London, stupid. The director, well phenomenal. Really, the actual problem was that I was just not into it. It was visually stimulating, yes, but people try to tell me about how it compares to amazing movies. No it doesn't. Granted, my reviews are strictly my personal opinion, but I'm entitled to that.

Don't get me wrong. I liked the movie, but I found there were many things that lacked. Finding a positive acting point in the movie was very difficult to do, but I will give Joseph Gordon-Levitt some credit. He's the man. Anyway, I found that Ellen Page (who was supposed to be this sophisticated genius) completely lacked in her acting ability. Every time I heard her speak I had a flashback of some quip that she would spit out in Juno. Is she really that one-dimensional? And Leo. My boy Leo had a flat and redundant acting style.

For people who have not seen it, please stop reading now.

Who cared about his wife? I didn't. The story about Leo's wife felt overused and underdone. They took a really cool idea and spoiled it. I knew from the first minute they explain what Inception was that Leo did it on his wife. It's been done. The man sabotages his family's life to progress his success into whatever he sinks himself in to.

Don't get me wrong. I thought the visuals and the general idea and concept of the film were great. I feel that maybe if I see it a second time I will realize some things that I missed. But overall I felt that it fell short of the anticipation.

Christopher Nolan is a genius. Memento and The Dark Knight are two of my all time favorite films, but this one seemed a little rushed and very "cinema-y". He went for the huge names and huge effects. At least Dark Knight had Heath Ledger. He made that film what it became. Legendary. Inception fell a little short of legendary.

New rating system because it makes things easier for me:

Stars (out of 10): 6

2 comments:

  1. People who say this movie is the best thing ever are just being blown away by the visuals and the confusing story line, when you really look at it it's a well done, clever story with interesting visuals and presentation, but nothing much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with a lot of what you wrote. For anyone looking for a better version of this movie I refer you to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. For a worse version, Shutter Island. Inception was good, not great. You're right, Ellen Page was the weakest link, but I thought everyone else was good.

    ReplyDelete