Sunday, July 11, 2010

Grown Ups

Grown Ups
2010
Directed By: Dennis Dugan
Starring: Adam Sandler, Kevin James

I don't care what anyone says. I love Adam Sandler. I think he is not only funny now, but for my generation, he is comedy. He is an icon in my book. Now I know his latest stuff hasn't been the best, but who could compete with Billy Madison, Big Daddy, and Happy Gilmore? The reign of Sandler's career has been overshadowed by a few people, but he definitely is a pioneer of modern comedy.

As for this movie. Before I saw it I heard terrible things. The newpapers, the websites, and even my friends were telling me it was a horrendous movie. I take everyone's opinion, but if I choose to see a movie, I see it. I went into the movie with the negative reviews in mind. I also prepared myself for a typical Adam Sandler comedy. I just hoped it was better than Click. I turned out to be pleasantly surprised.

The movie started off a little slow with the character development, but soon we were whirled into the twelve-year old minds of five brilliant comedians. Every character had their niche. They all had seperate lives but when they came together at their old summer hang out spot, everything else seemed not to matter. Sandler plays a rich agent from LA with a hot wife (Salma Hayek) and two snotty ass kids who wouldn't look up from their cell phones and video games if someone spontaneously combusted in front of them. I'm not going to go into every character, but there was an example.

Anyway, the five of them come together after the death of their childhood basketball coach. They decide to bring their families to an old summer house on a lake for the weekend. The rest of the movie relies solely on these five men making jokes and making us laugh. The great thing about the cast was there was never a lull in comedy. When one person was done saying something there was always someone there cracking a quick joke. The relationships between the characters seemed very natural and they all pull it off quite well.

Of course it's just a slap stick humor fest. But that's good. Now, I heard people saying that it needs to be better than The Hangover in order to be funny. I think we all know that's probably never going to happen. So just take it for what it is. I enjoyed it. And yes I saw it two weeks ago and I've been busy. Deal.

Stars (out of 4): * * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment