Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Nightmare On Elm Street

A Nightmare On Elm Street
2010
Directed By: Samuel Bayer
Starring: Jackie Earle Haley, Kyle Gallner

I find these movie remakes being a giant waste of money. I admit that I am part of the generation that has a terrible attention span and wants blood, blood, blood. However, the remake of this very classic slasher film is pretty dysfunctional. Story line: horrible. Acting: abhorrent. Freddy character: draining. I never though I'd get sick of hearing Freddy Kreuger speak. The fact is, there will be no Freddy Kreuger other than Robert Englund.

My first experience of Freddy's character was in the 2003 "Freddy vs. Jason". Now that film was just as senseless, but at least it was somewhat interesting. Taking the 1984 original and butchering it (no pun intended) was a mistake. It makes me upset that Wes Craven's genius is thrown down the toilet. "Freddy vs. Jason" had some interesting characters and a story line I could get behind. You got exactly what you expected.

This remake of "A Nightmare on Elm Street" seemed to have no direction. The classic scenes of the girl being thrown around the room held up a bit, but honestly there was no care about the characters what so ever. The movie jumped around from character to character and you never really know who the "main characters" really are.

Now, going into it, I knew what to expect. However, I did expect a little more to be done for me regarding the movie. This was a remake of a CLASSIC. Wes Craven's first nightmare is a staple and a pioneer for the slasher flick. Freddy is a household name of terror and fear. I feel that this movie just took him down a few notches in the terror belt. There comes a time when loud noises just will not do the job of scaring people anymore. This was a poor representation of a collection of nightmares from 1984-2003. It was not as bad as the remake of Friday the 13th, but it was not very good.

Stars: * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment