Tuesday, April 13, 2010

For Love of the Game

For Love of the Game
1999
Directed by: Sam Raimi
Starring: Kevin Costner, Kelly Preston

I never thought I'd ever find myself rooting against the Yankees in any type of media form. This film, however, brings you into the world of legendary pitcher Billy Chapel as he takes the mound in his very possible last game ever. While pitching a gem and being perfect throughout, the story throws you into the world of his on-and-off relationship with Jane. You see how the two met, how her insecurities and his fame interfere with their relationship.

The story takes a slow, but necessary turn into this side story of the love. Throughout the film you see his battles with love, physical condition, and baseball. Parts of the film were a little corny, but it was good. I feel that because I actually found myself caring about the main character. Like I said earlier, rooting against the Yankees was tough, but it happened. I was rooting for the perfect game to come together. The Yankees are painted like a bunch of bad guys, which I didn't like, but I understand.

It was a fitting movie to watch during the first week of the baseball season. It brought through that mystique of any baseball movie. Watching a film about baseball is unlike watching a film about any other sport. The tradition is always brought through in such fine form that it makes you want to step onto a diamond.

This film brings out the true tradition of baseball, love, and the juggling of both. I liked it. It was a tad long for the type of film it was, but I didn't mind it as much as I usually would. Still didn't like rooting against the Yanks.

Stars: * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment