Friday, October 29, 2010

Paranormal Activity 2

Paranormal Activity 2
2010
Directed by: Tod Williams
Starring: Katie Featherston, Sprague Grayden

Let me begin by saying this is one of the most creative "sequel" concepts I have ever seen. Was it the best sequel ever? No. But the overall idea of creating a prequel then coming to the point where the original began, and finally ending after the original ended, it was just genius. The overall story line was mediocre. Just like the first one. The acting was mediocre, just like the first one.

However, the acting and the story line did not need to be above average. This movie is one of the first horror films in a long time to have a lasting impression on me. Because the acting and story line weren't that great, it felt more realistic. This house could very well have been any house we, as middle class citizens, live in. The hair-raising scenes make you tingle with fright. The suspense of a night-time terror make you cringe in your seat, anxious for the next horror.

The movie took about 45 minutes for anything to actually happen. This may seem like a lot of time, but after that 45 minutes, it is a pure adrenaline rush that terrified me to my very soul. This is not me being a wuss. It is not me being a baby. You can definitely tell that a movie is scary when people run out of the theater. At first I thought they were being stupidly funny, but when they didn't return, I assumed they were actually that scared.

Being inside a movie theater with people terrified at an invisible monster is quite an experience. The movie did have a lot more jumpy scenes. And it even had continuous horror scenes that made you want to put down the popcorn in order to make sure not to spill it. I was very afraid that the movie would be stolid. A senseless, boring sequel to a movie that I thought was very original. I feel the new Paranormal Activity served well to the first film.

The bringing back of the two characters in the first one made me curious throughout the film of how they would tie them together. I was not disappointed, and I cannot think of a better way to end the new film. Paranormal Activity 2 did some things great. Scaring me was one of them. Tying into the first story line was another. I commend them on having this opportunity to completely "Hollywood-ise" the sequel and them having the balls to keep a lot of original ideas.

Stars (out of 10): 7

2 comments:

  1. "Was it the best sequel ever? No."

    So what is the best sequel ever? Does Last Crusade count? It's basically the second Indiana Jones because nobody remembers Temple of Doom.

    Yeah I'd say Last Crusade is the best sequel ever.

    Either that or Dark Knight.

    Actually I'm pretty sure Dark Knight was the best sequel.

    Yeah, definitely Dark Knight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say probably Dark Knight, but there are certain rules that apply to sequels. Technically, there were 4 completely different Batman movies before that. Also, is The Dark Knight a sequel? It had the same characters, but did it completely follow everything from Batman Begins. There are arguments for and against it.

    Regardless, no matter what your opinion or thought on sequels (ahem, Empire Strikes Back), they come out of nowhere and can follow anything. I'm still waiting for the Titanic sequel. By the way, Independence Day 2 is going to have Will Smith as the president. A black president? Who would have thought?

    The level of sequel depends on the definition of the person. Don't define a sequel by the title or the characters. Define it by the storyline and if it actually follows one straight thought. Just because it says "2" in there, doesn't mean it's definitely a sequel.

    ReplyDelete