Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Going the Distance

Going the Distance
2010
Directed by: Nanette Burstein
Starring: Justin Long, Drew Barrymore

This was not your every day romantic comedy. It, of course, was cheesy like a typical rom-com. But the humor factor of the dialogue broke into something new for me. I found myself laughing out loud quite a bit (and not just because I was looking at Drew Barrymore's unflattering figure). I realized that Justin Long is one of the greatest actors of our generation. This was not for his acting ability. But his ability to make him irresistible to women, yet awesomely dude-like to men.

Every time I see a Justin Long movie I think of Accepted. What a fantastic movie. He brings out this charisma in every character he plays (probably because he plays the same character repeatedly), but it works. He is like the cheeseburger of actors. He's the same thing every time, but something we crave after. The unsightly coupling of Long and Barrymore did not make much sense, however. First of all, she looks like a cut down tree, all slumpy and hunched like the top of her is missing. And he looks like a greased up recent college graduate. Why is it that Drew Barrymore always plays a newspaper reporter? I liked her better in Scream when she died in the first 3 minutes.

Anyway, the guy from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (of which I still have yet to see one full episode) was hilarious. He and this other guy play Long's two loser friends. They grow mustaches to try to take down "post-cougars", and take poops with the door open while trying to give love advice. But the two of them played perfectly into what the filmmakers were trying to do. They played the two guy-friends of the somewhat sensitive guy. They offer him beer and advice like it's popping two Tylenol. What boggles my mind is why this movie didn't revolve around them.

Now, the funniest line in the movie (which I won't spoil) is said by Barrymore, but only because she was drunk in the movie. Drunk Drew Barrymore should always be around. It was like watching an episode of Jersey Shore, except without the melodramatic "do you love me?" bullshit. I feel bad for ripping on her, I just don't understand her sometimes. Like why was she wearing a bow-tie on a first date? She is no where near as good looking as Tom Selleck (who I think is the only man ever to pull off a bow-tie).

Getting back to the movie. There were a lot of characters that I liked in the movie. They all seemed to somewhat have their place, whether it be the funny friends or the quirky over protective sister. The emotions of the movie did not sink in to my soul as much as the filmmakers would have liked. I feel that the ending was a little cheesy and drawn out. There were 2 or 3 other scenes (right near the end) that would have been a perfect fade out spot.

However, the overall presentation of the trials and tribulations of a long distance relationship really came through as very sweet, emotional, and dramatic at times. The jealousy factor played a role, but not too big a role. And overall, I enjoyed the light-hearted look at a real relationship struggling due to circumstances beyond any one's control. The storyline was engaging, and the relationship factor was a bit daft. But the movie drew my attention, which is pretty much all I ask of these people. But Drew Barrymore? Tsk Tsk.

Stars (out of 10): 6

No comments:

Post a Comment